RE: scanning advice

To: <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: RE: scanning advice
From: "Roy" <techman@metrolink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:48:40 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>>which is smaller, .gif or .jpg?>>

When I scan documents, I usually save them as .jpg because my scan software
(Paperport Visioneer) let's me select the compression ratio for the .jpg
file. I've found that using 30 percent compression keeps the .jpg file size
relatively small, but the content is still easily readable. Experiment and
see what you find.

I usually find the .gif files to be substantially larger than the .jpg file
of the same scan.

>>Is Acrobat Reader document searchable?>>

Yes.

>>would Acrobat Reader .pdf format be preferred?>>

Usually, yes, especially if the document is long. "Usually" a .pdf format is
better for documents than .jpg which is really intended for "pictures".
Where I used to work, we always published technical manuals and training
materials in Acrobat Reader .pdf format because the files are smaller, you
can do some fancy indexing stuff (like what you see in MS Word Help, for
example) and you can use hyperlinks, etc.

Unfortunately, I only have the "free" Acrobat Reader, not the full Acrobat
with the converter.

Roy
'60 TR3 TS63103LO (in restoration)
techman@metrolink.net