Crankcase Ventilation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankcase Ventilation
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:06:59 EDT

This thread prompts me to ask something that I've wondered about for some
time. I have an early  65 4A (CT54531L) and, judging by the BMIHT pedigree,
the original engine and most other things. I've owned this one for twenty
years and believe I'm only the third owner.
What is the proper original setup with regard to the PCV valve -- or
regulator (EGR, maybe?)
On page 92 of my Haynes manual, it shows what is described as the "Crankcase
Breather Regulator Valve Details", with a hose from the valve cover to - PCV?
regulator? EGR? -- and from that to the intake manifold.
What my car has had is a piece of hose about 3 feet long running from the
valve cover to..um...nowhere. I've often been tempted to ask the list where
that other end's supposed to go. Could this be the infamous "road tube" I'd
never even heard of before this thread?
So what's the proper setup originally. I looked in Piggot but the only 4A
engine photo I saw had the round air cleaners (I have the oval ones) -- and a
setup where the tube ran from the valve cover straight ahead to a connection
that then split. On my car, on the manifold, just behind the rearward
carburetor (Stromberg), is a projection which has been quite thoroughly
plugged. I have a parts TR4 sitting next to the 4A in the garage and it has
no similar orifice on its manifold. Am I correct in assuming that's where the
hose from the regulator to the manifold would go. And why was it removed? Is
there a performance issue? What's the effect of the modifications and is it
worthwhile to put it back to original?
Thanks.

Jim