re:Random questions

To: Noah.Freeman@Bain.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Random questions
From: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:33:35 -0400
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:24:38 -0400
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Subject: Random questions-

Hi Noah-

- -Top speed- if top speed is a measure of top RPM power, im a bit below
spec-
the car is supposed to go like 102 mph (w/OD), but I could only hit
about 90
ont eh mass pike (big highway) (all you boston guys and policemen on
this
list look the other way)(I dont actually want to drive this fast, I was
just
curious. (was it becaseu the top was down, which makes for more wind
drag?)
Or is something funny with my carb tune, etc?

Sounds right to me. Of course I drive up and down the Pike in a TR6 with
hot cam, dual webers and 30% uprated compression, so what would I know
about 90. C'ya. ( you guys at Bain, geez)

- -Oil pressure- once the car gets really warm, my idling oil pressure
is
20lbs...is this too low?  Oil cooler?

50 or better at speed is probably OK if that's what you are running.

- -Water Temp- the car stabilizes with teh temp gauge 0.25" to the left
of the
white band near the 100 mark- is this correct? (i heard proper temp is
85C,
but ther is no mark for that on the gauge)

About right, if it stays there at speed or idling in traffic at the
tolls on the Pike.

- -Shift points- where do you all shift?

I like 3500 on a slow day, 4 + if fun is in the air.

 Engine seems to make noise long before it reaches redline.

That's the nice part. Try Monzas.

- -Is the ammeter supposed to alway read a little bit positive, or is
supposed
to go to zero once hte battery is recharged?  (mine stays postive all
the
time, but the battery may just need a lot of charging)

Not sure, kind of old timey for ( most of)  us TR6 types.

- -What is proper idle RPM?

900- with a hot cam

- -What tire pressures do you all run at?

32

- -is it bad for the motor to decelerate by downshifting (using hte
motor as a
bit of a brake)?  Some people told me it was, but i figured the "i do
rebuilds" crowd would know this for sure.

If you prefer clutch rebuilds to installing new brake pads, its a great
idea.

- -What eninge oils are you all using?  10W30?  Favorite brands?

20-50 Castrol GTX (dino,not synth) Costco in Waltham has best price.

- -Antitheft mechanisms- what do you all use to keep someone from
hotwiring
and stealing your baby?  Im a bit paranoid...do people use electricity
shutoffs, "the club," etc?  What options are there that dont require
openning the hood each time I get in?

Hidden switch to electic fuel pump and cutoff at battery. . If they take
the time to figure all that out, they can have it.  Joy  riders won't
work too hard at it and if your  TR is something the pros are out
looking for, then you shouldn't be leaving it unattended. Oh, and don't
park at the Malls, Noah. Not too sure about the Copley Place garage
either.

Thanks all for all your great help!

Noah

See you on the Pike, Noah!