RE: OD Switch Placement and Update

To: "Don Sforza" <djsforza@snet.net>
Subject: RE: OD Switch Placement and Update
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:35:10 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Don,

Thanks for your help... One more thing if you don't mind.

The OD replacement switch I bought from TRF has an almost 30
degree forward bend right at the base of the stalk and a approx
30 degree downward bend.  It also has black plastic on the shaft
and it is suggested that you peel off the black plastic for a
TR4.  This must be a multi-purpose part and I am not sure it is
what was used in the original TR4.  The pictures I see look like
the stalk comes out straight from the switch.

In the current setup with the switch installed in the position
dictated by the D shape hole in the escutcheon... that angle
brings it forward toward the steering wheel and down to the 4:30
position... and it is in the way of my hand for normal steering.

I found out that the escutcheons are not interchangeable.  The
steering column is tapered and the escutcheons are made to follow
the taper.  So I must install the switch contrary to the intended
D-shape hole in order to move it.

If I force it to turn over in the hole... rounding out the D
shaped hole an have it in the top right hand quadrant... then the
30 degree bend will make the switch angle away from the steering
wheel.

Is this how you remember it?  I drove the car a lot today while
setting the OD solenoid adjustment.  The 4:00 position is not
uncomfortable... but the bend makes the tip of the handle too
close to the steering wheel.

I can always bend the stalk to suit the original intent.  What do
you think.

Hope you are enjoying your Morgan.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA