StarterProblem - 1974 TR6

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: StarterProblem - 1974 TR6
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:00:08 -0600
Last summer my starter would occasionally fail to turn over, usually  after
I had just run the car.  There would be no clicking or anything when the key
was turned, but the warning lights and everything else electrical worked
fine. After wriggling the starter wires or waiting a few minutes it would
then turn over. There was no clear reason I could attribute though when it
did start, but it always eventually did. This spring I can't get it to
respond at all. I tried shorting the seatbelt sensor on the passenger
footwell but that didn't work. Today I removed the sarter and had it tested.
It is OK. When checking the fuses I noticed that the W/R wire  that leaves
the starter reappears and connects with other wires to a little multi-tabbed
"Tic Tac" sized box located on the drivers side fender in the engine
compartment, between the clutch master and the  wiper motor. I hooked up the
starter and grounded it and wriggled the box. Finally - some response. The
box  clicks and the starter sort of turns. Before venturing further and
damaging something I wanted to see if someone could tell me what this little
box is,  and where do I go from here. My wiring diagram shows the W/R going
straight to the ignition and ending there, so the box is a mystery.  Thanks
for any help. Jim Sloan, Calgary, AB