TR4 - Used Carpet Set Available

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 - Used Carpet Set Available
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:40:02 -0400
TR4 listers,

I have a slightly used gray TR4 carpet set available that I would like to see
go to another TR4 or TR4A restorer.  I comes complete with underlayment and
the foil heat insulation blanket.

I made this up in 1999 to finish out my car for the VTR'99. The carpet set
that came with the car could only go to the dump.  There were no gray carpet
sets available then and I had spent way too much money that winter to justify
any $500 carpet set.  As it turns out... I found a fellow lister that was in
the carpet business who was offering a very inexpensive gray carpet set
($150).  It was cut for TR4A so I had to modify it...  but surprise it came
with underlayment already attached.  I also added the two-sided foil bubble
wrap insulation... which BTW really reduces or eliminates the traditional hot
footwell...  it also reduces the sound.  Installed... It came out looking just
like the perfect TR4 in the Piggott book.

The gotcha is that the inexpensive carpet which looked quite good when new has
started to fade to an orangy-gray tinge in the areas that get the most
sunlight like the tunnel and gearshift. The faded area might be re-dyed with
some experimentation. I remember seeing the label on the carpet and it was
"1955 Ford Gray" or something like that.  I guess it was not intended for open
convertible use.

If you have a ratty, smelly carpet set now... and you don't want to pop for
the $400-500 new carpet set...  then this will hold you over for a long time
if you are not going for first place.  It really looks quite good...  and if I
had not just torn out the carpets to install the OD I would have keep it for a
year or two more.  But, since I was doing the labor... I decided to swap in
the new gray rayon loop carpet set from TRF that is advertised as "original
TR4"

I would like $75 plus shipping.  I think it is a fair since as it also comes
with underlayment and the heat insulation.  It goes to the first taker.  Or if
no is interested I will store it for my next TR4.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn