fuel pump problem

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel pump problem
From: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 17:02:54 -0400
I am trying to replace the fuel pump in my 74 TR6 with a new pump made by
Moprod, apparently a UK company.  It is a model FP32.  It appears to be a
replacement, although the actuation arm is a little shorter.  It did contact
the cam, offered resistance, and fit OK.  The problem is the outlet fitting.
The inlet tubing is 5/16" and the outlet tubing is 1/4", stock.  The outlet
on the pump seems to be for 5/16", like the inlet.  The stock tubing and
ferrel did not get tight.  There was still play side-to-side and in-and-out.
I thought maybe it was machined for the larger ferrel, so I tried the inlet
fitting.  The brass fittings have the same exterior dimensions, only the ID
is different.  The 5/16" fitting fits the outlet of the fuel pump.  Having
figured this out, I am wondering how to change the piping to accomodate
this.  I really would prefer not to create another joint in the line, near
the engine, but I can not think of way to avoid it.  I suppose I could use
5/16" for the whole line around the front of the head.  Does anyone know if
there are 5/16" ferrels to fit 1/4" tubing?

Thanks.
Jay
74TR6