TR6 Rear Suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rear Suspension
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:23:00 -0500
Hi All,

Thanks to all that replied to my timing mark question.  My timing is now set
correctly.

Today, I pulled the wheels to check the brakes on my "new" 74 TR6.  The rear
brakes shoes need to be renewed, but I have time.

I did find something that is disturbing, however.  When I pulled the left
rear tire, I can see where it has been rubbing against the inner tire well.
In the upper tire well, there is  block that slants downward and it is
rubbing against that block.  I think it rubs against this block when a bump
is encountered, so it not rubbing constantly, but I don't want to have a
blow out from the rubbing.

When I go to the back of the car and look at the tire, I can see that it is
not perpendicular to the road.  The top of the tire leans in towards the
car.  The other tire looks perpendicular.

I saw no damage to the frame, trailing arm assembly and no cracks on the
spring.  The only thing I noted was that the PO has installed tube shocks,
but they are high quality and frame mounted and the tires are 205s.

Am I looking at a weak spring, or something else?  The springs look
relatively easy to replace without killing myself.  Should they be replaced
in pairs?

Thanks,

Bill
74 TR6