TR4 clutch questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 clutch questions
From: Dietmar Schlei <dschlei@pressenter.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:41:20 -0500
Hi list

I am still struggling with my clutch operation.  I did rebuild the master
an slave cylinder, put a brand new hose in, and bleed the system in many
different ways, following the good advises that I got from the list, but my
problem is still there.  If the clutch pedal was not used for about 15 min,
the pedal is soft and will not operate the clutch with the first push, the
second push will barley operate the clutch (the clutch releases and engages
when the pedal is all the way down to the fire wall, and the third push
will give a very good clutch operation, just the way it is supposed to be.

All the bleeding, rapid pumping prior to opening the screw, or holding the
pedal down and let the clutch pressure push the piston back, etc. does not
help, I do not see any air bubbles coming out, but there must be some in
the system, but where and how do I get it out?  The bleeder screw is in the
upside position on the slave cylinder, and I jack the car up at the front
cross member to ensure, that all the air goes to the top to the bleeder
screw.  What shall I do, any ideas how to get this darn thing to operate
properly?

Any advise is very much appreciated!

Dietmar

1938 Oldsmobile,