Re: Cutting nice holes in sheet metal

To: John Middlesworth <top_down@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Cutting nice holes in sheet metal
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:20:10 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John Middlesworth wrote:

> I have a replacement rear valence for a TR4A that has indentations for the
> bumper support brackets but no holes.  The original pressing has nice rounded
> off holes that I'd like to reproduce when I cut these holes.  Is there a way
> to copy that rolled edge after cutting?  And is a torch the best way to cut
> the hole in the first place?

  The tools you want are called Greenlee punches or something
close to that.

  There are many types, and two combine to do what you want.

  One will punch a perfectly round hole up to a couple of
inches, another will bend over the edges.

  The tools are small and come in sets usually, each one
is for one hole size.

  You drill a pilot hole in the middle, and then screw
the two halfs of the tool together on the hole and it
cuts. Then the matching tool has sort of a plug and
a die and as you squeeze them together, it bends the
edges.

  A picture tells a thousand words, but I have no picture.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca