Overdrive

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:30:48 +0200
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greetings list

Last year July ( or thereabouts ) I reported the following :

> I found and  bought a d-type overdrive unit on Saturday :-) . R 500 (
> approx. $ 65 ) and I didn't have to pay shipping costs . That really was a
> lucky find I know . Keep in mind though , it took me 7 years to find it
> and $ 65 is still a lot of money for the " normal " South African .
> Overdrive serial number 25 / 63314 / 051315 . The seller told me it came
> from a Sunbeam ....
> I know I still need to find the following for a complete overdrive
> conversion on my 1964 Spitfire 4 ( Mk 1 ):
> Overdrive column switch and cowl  > Gearbox to overdrive adapter plate
> Speedo angle drive  > Longer speedo cable> Overdrive wiring loom
> Overdrive relay > metalastic gearbox mounting and plate
> Gearshift mechanism and lock-out switchgear > Overdrive script badge
> Shorter o/d mainshaft ( from Mk 1 , 2 or 3 Spitfire )
> Shorter prop shaft / drive shaft

I received great advice from the list , thanks again , and even a few
extremely generous and kind offers on the required parts . Unfortunately for
one or the other reason nothing materialised :-( .

Not to worry . It's not all doom and gloom in Dark Africa :-)
I was recently contacted by a Mk 3 Spitfire owner who was in dire need of
various Mk 3 parts  . I gave him basically all the Mk 3 parts I had
accumulated over the years ( a large number of parts indeed ) and in
exchange he gave me an early Spitfire overdrive gearbox with D-type o/d unit
which he bought in the UK . Serial number 25 / 63330 / 008968 which I
believe is correct for FC 25680 . Most required parts were included , with
the exception of the following :
1) Speedo angle drive
2) Lock-out switchgear ( inhibitor switch and mounting )
3) Overdrive relay
4) Overdrive wiring loom
5) longer speedo cable

I really won't say no if anyone wishes to help out with especially the
speedo angle drive and lock-out switchgear :-)  . Actually it would really
be highly appreciated .

Couple of questions :
1) The overdrive script badge is broken in 3 different places . Any ideas on
how to repair this ? Superglue ?
2) The overdrive column switch cowl is made of plastic . Most enthusiasts
say that this is correct , but I've also been informed that the early Spits
had metal overdrive cowlings . I know that without overdrive the cowlings
are metal , but which is correct if overdrive is fitted ?

TIA .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .

'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

Triumph Sports Car Club of South Africa membership number : 2117
Triumph Sports Car Club ( Pretoria Centre ) membership number : 356 .

Projects :
'62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments is
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient
please reply immediately and delete this message.  Please do not make use of
it, nor disclose it's contents in any way.  Thank you.