TR7 BFH Wheel balancing/alignment

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH Wheel balancing/alignment
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:47:20 EDT
Triumphers...

I've certainly learned a lot about my TR7 during the engine rebuild, but
front suspension stuff still is somewhat of a mystery to me.

I've had the wheels balanced twice, but there is still a noticeable
bounce/wobble around 50-55 MPH.

Normally I would assume the balancing job wasn't done correctly, since the
movement seems to be speed-related.  But maybe on the TR7 I need to check
other stuff, particularly since the steering wheel doesn't seem to bounce so
much as it does wobble slightly?

So, your opinion on the following:

1.  If the steering damper isn't "tight" enough, could that cause
bounce/wobble?

2.  I seem to remember that you should check for play by push/pulling the
tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, and at 3 and 9 o'clock.  What do those postions
check for?

3.  Any other obvious place to look for looseness that could cause wobble?

As always, thanks!

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC