TR7 BFH wheel balancing -- part deux

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH wheel balancing -- part deux
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 19:05:05 EDT
Thanks to all of your suggestions, I think I have found at least one of the
problems leading to wheel hop/wobble on my TR7.  Naturally the problem is on
the passenger side, when I thought it was on the driver's side.

The passenger side wheel definitely have looseness when pushed/pulled at the
3/9 o'clock position.  I couldn't figure out where it was loose until I
slipped off the steering rack gaiter.  The "slop" is definitely at the inner
ball joint-- I can see the tie rod end moving back and forth.

So, a couple of questions:

I assume there is no adjustment, and I probably should replace both inner
ball joints?

If it only seems to be loose on one side, is it still possible that the rack
is loose, or is it pretty sure to be the ball joint?

Can I replace the inner ball joints with regular tools?

Again, big thanks to everyone.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC