RE: Dash Lights

Subject: RE: Dash Lights
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:09:57 -0700
Cc: Triumph Net <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>   Paul Brandsema wrote:
>
> About the only
> time I can see my instruments at night is after driving about 10
> minutes, thru
> the middle of nowhere, without any lights to ruin my night
> vision.

Paul :

If your dash lights are that dim, I would suggest first checking to see that
they are getting full voltage (eg is your dimmer bad - many are), and then
replacing all the bulbs with new, original type bulbs.

The light output of all incandescent bulbs falls off over the life of the
bulb, and the Lucas bulbs used in the dash seem particularly prone to this
problem.  I've removed working bulbs where the glass part was completely
black !  New bulbs running on a full 12v should be bright enough to see in
only 2 minutes <g>

Michael Hart wrote :
> Original
> wattage is 2.5 watts, an increase to say 4 watts would give
> probably 100 percent more available light without much additional
> heat.

Michael :

Actually the increase in heat from 2.5 to 4.0 watts is 60%, which is
probably also all the increase you'll see in light.  You may even see less
light increase, since the standard 1449 bulb is optimized for light output
at the expense of life.  My big concern would be the extra current drawn
through the dimming rheostat ...

A number 428 bulb should be substantially brighter.  It's rated power is
only 3 watts, but it's rated at 12.5 volts instead of 14 like the original
bulb.  It has a slightly larger bulb, but I think it will fit. YMMV
http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp?intProductID=41969

I've previously suggested a number 1446 (2.8 watts @ 12.0 volts), but
apparently no one makes them any more.

There are also several places that make LED replacements for the 1449, but I
don't know if they would appear any brighter.  See
http://www.ddp-leds.com/Products/mb401.htm
http://www.datasheets.led.net/Pages/minbased_catalog/122m/122m.htm

Randall