RE: Valve Numbers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Valve Numbers
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:51:56 -0700
1-8, front to back, just like the cylinder numbers.

BTW, there's an alternate method that I consider easier (especially to
remember) : for each cylinder in the firing order (1-3-4-2), turn the engine
until the valves for that cylinder are at the 'balance point', ie exhaust
closing while intake is opening (also known as the overlap period), then set
both valves for the cylinder that is opposite in the firing order.  So for a
4-cyl Triumph :
Balance Set
1               4
3               2
4               1
2               3

This works for any 4 cycle engine with an even number of cylinders (using
it's firing order, of course).  If you don't know the firing order, or don't
know the cylinder numbers (it's sometimes easy to get confused especially
with transverse mounted, flat or V engines), you can just follow the wires
to/from the distributor cap.  Turn a cylinder to balance, follow it's wire
to the cap, go to the opposite wire on the cap, follow it's wire to the
cylinder to be set.

Randall