TR3-Fitting spare tire cover

To: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3-Fitting spare tire cover
From: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:55:27 -0700
So, here I am doing the final touches before the car gets painted next month
!! Yes, for those of you that remember my starting this project with
dragging the tub out of over grown black berry bushes last July it is almost
ready for paint !!!

My question is with respect to the fit (or non fit) of the spare tire cover.

When I put the stock rubber "gasket" in place there is not a hope that I can
push the cover in place well enough so I can turn the tabs. With it removed,
they turn into place with just the right amount of pressure. I've been told
not to expect too much success with the stock rubber in place... which
turned out to be true.

I'm temped to use no gasket at all... is this okay ? Do I need something ?

Thanks, Pat