brake fitting thread size

To: rgryan2@excite.com
Subject: brake fitting thread size
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:07:19 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Roger,
Zerks are 27 tpi and tapered, brakes are 28 tpi and not tapered. Don't put the
zerk right in the caliper; it could screw up the threads. It will start and
seem like it fits while the threads are getting stripped.
What I did that worked for this purpose was to get a short length of brake line
with the 28 tpi male fittings on both ends. One end goes in the caliper
obviously; on the other, put a female-female adapter, then screw the zerk into
that. This way it won't really matter if the threads get a bit damaged.
You do have to clamp down the fittings and the zerk pretty hard. The grease gun
exerts huge pressure and the pistons typically don't want to move, so the
weakest point gives.
Good luck, and have fun cleaning up that grease!
Regards,
Jim Wallace
From: Roger Ryan <rgryan2@excite.com>

....I need to put a zerk on the brake caliper to remove the piston. What
size fits that? Is it the same for both bleed valve and other one?
   Thanks
    Roger Ryan
    62 TR4