[no subject]

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:12:02 +0100
Dave Massey wrote:

>The factory provided
>tie brackets at the ends of the frame for overseas shipping.

Sorry, Dave - at the risk of accusations of pedantry the lashing eyes
were fitted to all vehicles, regardless of destination.
Their primary installation was to stop the cars surging on their
springs when travelling on a car transporter to UK dealer or dockside.
A hook on a ratcheted chain went through the eye and the tension was
then wound on hard at either end.
Once on board a ship, each car was shackled with similar chains over
each wheel to lugs welded in the vessel's deck. Marine insurance
claims proved conclusively the lashing eyes at either end of the
chassis were not strong enough to hold the car in an Atlantic gale.
For the record, I was looking at some old pix the other day taken in
the hold of a ship that had just arrived in Baltimore sometime in
1959. There were no less than 47 TR3A's that were totalled write-offs
before they'd even reached the dealer. Pix were needed to prove the
marine insurance claim. Supporting paperwork with the pix confirmed
the cars were unloaded and held in customs bond until the insurance co
had 'bought them.' They were then reloaded on another vessel, taken
out to international waters and tipped over the side. In anticipation
of a few requests of where, I should point out the file did not
specify the latitude and longitude.
Isn't life a scream?

Jonmac