TR6 - Too quick to blame Lucas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Too quick to blame Lucas
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:46:31 -0400
Last week I thought I had a sure problem with the voltage stabilizer,
since both temp and fuel gauges were reading low.  Replaced the
stabilizer, had same symptoms.

Reached into the fuel tank with a piece of wire, hooked the float arm,
pulled up and voila', the gauge read 3/4 full.  The electrics were
okay, but the float was almost full of fuel, sitting at the bottom of
the tank.

Last month, while the tank was out to replace a leaky sender gasket, I
noticed the float was about half full of fuel.  Hmmmm, this could cause
a wrong reading, so let's fix it.  Checked the archives, someone
suggested to drill a tiny hole, drain the fuel and seal the hole with 2
part epoxy (JB Weld).  Everything was okay for about 3 weeks, then the
float started to fill up with fuel.

Anyhow, does anyone have a solution to this one - what can I use to
seal the float so it doesn't fill with fuel?  Or, is there a reasonable
alternative, like replacing the float with something else?

As far as the low reading temp gauge goes, maybe my car is naturally
cool :)

Thanks, and sorry Lucas,
Rick