Re: Hypothetical TR3 rebuild

To: " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hypothetical TR3 rebuild
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 01 08:16:58 -0700
>Hey,
>
>I think I saw one very crucial thing omitted there....
>
>Balance the entire reciprocating mass assembly.

I thought I did.  At least I meant to say it.

>You're also supposed to have the rods magnafluxed and shot-peened to
>reduce surface tension. ( I did )

Forgot to say that.  Good point.

>An excellent resource for a performance engine rebuild is the Standard
>Triumph TR 2-4a tuning manual that outlines all of Kas Kastner's 'secrets'
>from racing TRs back in the 60s.  However, remember that Kas was building
>race motors and not street motors before you go and shave .070" off your
>head. He has a section in the back on what to do for a hot street car.

I shaved 0.60 thousandths off, to gain combustion then lost some by
cutting out the shrouding around the plug.  Under most conditions my
engine runs OK with mid grade petrol.  If I'm going to be working it hard
in hot weather I'll go to premium.  But yes I used Kas's book as a
starting point, listened to Ken Gallanders (and bought a lot of his
stuff), Greg Solo, and the machinest who reworked the heads used on
Greg's Morgan race engines (where I learned about the venturi valve seat
trick).

>Terri-Ann's website has a wealth of information on it with links to even
>more...AND Kas Kastner has given it a thumbs up!

Thank you for the positive feedback and yes I was VERY proud of the
e-mail from Kas.

>Hmmm.......what else?
>
>I used the AE Brand 87mm pistons available from several sources, but I've
>heard good things about the Mahle pistons too.

I also use AE pistons & lineers.  They have a VERY good reputation.

>If you've got an unlimited budget, pop for some alloy Carillo Rods. Budget
>$800-900 for the set. Then you won't have to tear the motor down again
>when you start racing. <grin>

I was thinking of mentioning those but he said street engine and not
competition engine.  I would estimate my engine is built to mild racing
specs as I wanted to run on pump petrol and good reliability.  It would
not be competitive in real racing.  It would be a good autocross engine
though except with the mods the car would be competing with built up
autocross cars.

So it is just a good street racer that probably would be competitive in
the back third of a vintage race field.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html