(no subject)

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: (no subject)
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 22:16:23 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/2001 4:04:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

> Well, I guess it's official, I'm now the proud owner of a 1965 Triumph
>  Sports 6 convertible (aka Vitesse).  I'm going to pick it up next week.

And it is also official: I'm jealous! :-)

>  Would anyone care to comment on how many of these were sold in the US ?
>  Andy ?

I could suggest you go to <http://www.vtr.org/Herald/Herald-history.html>, or
I could tell you that, officially, 679 Sports 6 models, all convertibles,
were sold in the United States. FWIW, your car isn't really a '65, as it
likely was built sometime well before, possibly even in calendar year 1963
for original sale as a 1963 or 1964 model. I'd have to look it up again to be
sure. But it apparently also has one of those "STC 65" plates, so it probably
languished at a dealer or distributor for some time when new.

So, what are your plans? Restore to original, I hope? :-)

- --Andy
Andrew Mace, President and 10/Herald/Sports 6 (Vitesse) Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>

Well done Randall,

IMHO these fine cars are very underated.
But then I AM somewhat biased :-)

If you need any advice whatsoever regarding your new car, please do not
hesitate to ask me.

I totally rebuilt mine from 1984 to 1997, and indeed continue to improve it.

Not only were there 679 Sports Six Convertibles sent Stateside, but I
understand that they are all either Signal Red, Black or White?

The 1596cc engine (as properly fitted to the Vitesse 6/Sports 6) is a fine
smooth unit, and most parts are still available from Canley Classics,
Fitchetts & Six Spares here in England

If the car has any faults, the coil spring clutch is too weak, the front
brakes are a little undersized, the gearbox is fairly weak and the original
zenith carburettors - and their mechanical rod linkage - are fairly horrible,
however, that really is about all.

If you aren't terribly worried about originality, (sorry Andy but
realistically it depends how much of the original car is left, and the
condition that it is in!), then the best thing to do is to retro-fit the
engine/ancillaries, gearbox, differential and brakes complete from the
1969/70 GT6+
That would give you a more practical and reliable car, as proven by Steve
Hedke with his Sports Six, now with Tom Levitt in Boston, AFAIK.

Anyhow, that is just my opinion, I also like totally standard cars, if you
are lucky enough to have gotten one with all it's mechanical parts in good
restorable condition.

Best of Luck!

btw, are you on the yahoo groups Vitesse list?

Regards

Leon F Guyot

'1963' Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.