TR3a Heads

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3a Heads
From: Shrack04@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:08:00 EDT
I bought my TR3, 1960 TS 78563 about 16 years ago, and rebuilt the engine.
During the rebuild I found the head casting to be cracked, so I bought a
replacement,  The cracked one has the slanted bottom to the thermostat
housing, (2nd phase high port).  The replacement head, has the rounded
bottom thermostate housing (1st phase high port).
Question #1,  Is the 2nd phase high port head alot better than the 1st phase
high port head.?  and why?
Note: I also installed 86 mm sleeves and pistons during the rebuild.  I read
where they used the 3rd phase high port head with the 86 mm sleeves and
pistons Thus,
Question #2,  Is the use of the 1st phase low port head with the 86 mm
pistons a problem and what does this do to comperssion ratio?
Question #3,  How do  I boost octane from the premium unleaded?
Qustion #4,  Any lead additives out there that work,? and do I mix both, lead
and octane boost?