Re: Urgent tranny help needed (long)

To: "JEREMY CHINN" <lagrue@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Urgent tranny help needed (long)
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:00:42 -0400
Jeremy,

First the good news, if that bearing outer race is stuck in the countershaft,
then the countershaft is in good shape.

You didn't mention the type of gearbox, but the pressed- in bearings were a
later replacement for the slide-in bearings used on the TR250 & TR6 gearboxes.

I don't think the ice will help; there is too much thermal conductivity between
the pieces.

I've has some success with using a sharp pointed chisel to cut a slit in the
outer race to relieve the pressure, it then slides out.  I've also used an air
die grinder and a Moto Tool to grind a slit the outer race.  The grinders are
the easiest and fastest but you'll likely cut into the metal behind the race
also.  Since there's an outer race included with the new bearing, minor
imperfections in the mating surfaces are probably not a problem, but  I sure
hate to be the cause of any more imperfections.

Removing this race is similar to removing the small bearing between the input
shaft and the mainshaft.  There's photos of doing that in the Gearbox Overhaul
Part I article found under the technical button at
http://www.nextek.net/BuckeyeTriumphs/

Suggest you check the inner shaft under the bearing very carefully, it is
probably damaged..  That rear countershaft bearing is the weakest part of the
gearbox.  It is the part that bears the force from low gear jack-rabbit starts.
The bearing goes first then the shafts.

Good luck

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (repairing damage from fender bender)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)