Re: tr3 eats rotor buttons

To: Shane Sherman <edman@midmaine.com>
Subject: Re: tr3 eats rotor buttons
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:59:28 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Shane Sherman wrote:

> I've
> been through 3 rotors so far, they usually go a few days to a week, then
> "poof" they arc through and the car immediately stops running.

Shane :

This is usually a symptom of a bad plug wire or connection at the plug
or cap.  Could also be a bad plug.  I'd start by using an ohmmeter (or
DVM) to check the resistance between each terminal inside the dizzy cap,
and it's associated spark plug terminal.  The exact value will vary with
the type of wires you have fitted, but should be reasonably even, and
less than 10K ohms.

>      Also, at high revs, I've noticed the turn indicator lamp in the
> panel starts to glow. sort of a crude shift light. strange.

Are you sure it's the turn indicator and not the ignition lamp ?  If it
is the turn indicator, it almost has to be related to vibration from the
engine, perhaps a bad (sensitive) flasher.  Try disconnecting the light
green wire at the flasher.  If the lamp no longer glows, the flasher is
the problem.  If it still glows, the light green wire is shorting to
something between the flasher and the panel lamp.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver