TR6 Tach runs High

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Tach runs High
From: "George T. Pasek Jr." <pasek001@tc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 07:02:36 -0500
I tried posting this question a few weeks ago and did not see it (or
missed it) in the digest version I get, nor did I see any responses so
forgive me if it's a dupe, but here it is again.

I have a 73 TR6 and the tach runs high.  At 60mph I'm reading 4000 rpm
which I'm told is about 1000 high for that speed.  When I check it
against a electronic Tach/Dwell test meter I have I read 800 RPM at idle
on the test tach and 1200 RPM on the TR6 tach.  At 2000 RPM on the test
tach (which is as high as it goes) the TR6 tach is reading 2800 RPM.  I
did read somewhere that having a inner cable that was too long could
wear on the tach inners and cause a high reading so I replace the cable
and the reading is still high.  I also have a spare TR6 tach and that
one reads the same (high).  I rebuilt the distributer yesterday
(unrelated problem) and the tach gear looked fine.  Both TR6 tachs have
3.55:1 on them and looking in the various parts catalogs I do not see
tach/gear ratio options available.  I suppose that there is the chance
that both tach's are bad, or for some reason the 3.55:1 tach ratio does
not match up with the drive gear ratio in the distributer.  I am going
to pull the distributer back out and count how many tach drive
revolutions I get for one distributer rev just in case I do have
something odd here.

Anyhow, any suggestions/thoughts on this matter?

tnx
George

'73 TR6  (Trixie)