Magic Clutch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Magic Clutch
From: "Edward Woods" <fogbro1@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:30:57 -0400
All,

I would like to thank Rick Barnard who sent a message to the List concerning
the "Magic Clutch" back on August 12. He mentioned that .015" clearance is
required between the gearbox nosepiece o.d. and the i.d. of the Toyota bearing
carrier sleeve. We had a local TR250 that had developed a growling noise and
an erratic pedal release shortly after replacing the clutch with the Magic
unit. What Rick said made sense, so I had a new carrier sleeve sized to the
proper clearance. We spent Saturday morning replacing it. Problem completely
disappeared. Owner's thrilled. He's had no less than six clutches in the car
within the past two or three years and had all but given up hope. All prior to
the Magic unit had experienced throwout bearing failures.

A word to the wise: New "Magic Clutch" throwout bearing assemblies are not
supplied with the proper clearance. It's up to the buyer to check it and, if
necessary, have a machine shop size it correctly. My only complaint is that I
wish I'd known this the first time. Would have saved a Saturday morning for
better use.

Thanks again Rick.

Ed Woods