RE: TR3 Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Carbs
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:50:04 -0700
> - how do you pull the old bushing out (I understand you cannot push
> the old bushing through the body with a simple driver)

In at least some cases (my H6s), there is no old bushing, the body has to be
drilled out.  I believe drilling is also the best option for removing any
existing bushing.

The drilled holes do not go all the way through, but leave a thin wall of
original body material between the bushing and the carb throat.  Thus, it's
somewhat difficult (but very important) to be sure the holes are perfectly
aligned with each other.  I was able to do it successfully on my drill
press, by using a long bit to drill a hole into a piece of wood clamped to
the table, then inserting a center into the hole to locate the carb body
while I drilled the other side with a short bit.  The Moss catalog
recommends doing the work in a lathe.

> - do the new bushings have to be reamed or do they fit as is?

If your alignment is good enough, they fit without reaming.  My first one
had to be reamed, the second one didn't.

> Is yes,
> where can you get a standard size reamer with a long enough pilot?

I borrowed a valve guide reamer from a friend (who ran a local service shop
at the time).

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver