TR6 engine rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 engine rebuild
From: "Dennis N Culligan" <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:05:28 -0400 #MIAS4UTJ8H |June 21, 2001) at 09/13/2001 03:05:28 PM
     With all the tragedy this week, my problem is insignificant, but I'm
looking for some input.
         I blew the motor in my TR6 this past Sunday on the return trip
from Watkins Glen (in the words of some anonymous Southern
philosopher, "She blowed up real good").  It appears that I spun a
bearing - the motor started to make a horrendous banging noise
and my oil pressure dropped to almost zero.  I shut it off immediately
and had it flat-bedded home, but am sure there is quite a bit of damage
(also note the engine had just over 99,000 miles on it and the bottom
end has never been touched).  The car had some head work a few years
ago so the top end is probably OK.
      A mechanic friend has suggested that I'll probably need a new cam,
lifters, a new crank, bearings, pistons, etc, etc.  I am unable (and at
this
point unwilling) to attempt anything this major myself.  Does anyone have
any "educated guesses" on how much this rebuild is going to cost?

Dennis Culligan / 1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH (RIP) /
                              DNCULLIG@US.IBM.COM