RE: Help what wire does this???

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help what wire does this???
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:47:46 +0930
> My 72 TR6 has developed an electrical fault. I was driving along when
> suddenly, no gauges, no turn signals, no brake lights. Headlights and
> taillights and ignition all work. The fuses are all good and
> the connections
> at the fuse box seem OK. What connection behind the dash or
> in the harness
> should I look for?

Mark,

This has happened to me quite recently too. In my case what appears to have
happened is the connectors on the fuse box have corroded (both where the
fuse slots in, and the spade terminals on the outside). The fuses were all
good, and the wires were all good, but the connections weren't. I just
cleaned up all the connectors, and the problem seems to have gone away. What
used to happen was I'd be driving along with everything working ok, I'd hit
a bump, and suddenly the headlights would go off, the indicators and brake
lights wouldn't work, etc. Interestingly, the light that blinks in the
speedo when the indicators were on worked just fine whether or not the
problem manifested itself. The only way I knew for sure that I had a problem
was when the dash lights didn't come on with the headlights...

Hope this helps,

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide