Re: Lift the dot fastners

Subject: Re: Lift the dot fastners
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:34:07 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
> How do I install them, or is there a place where I can get the instructions
> on line?

Alan :

One option is to take the whole mess to a local upholstery shop and have
them do it.

It shouldn't be difficult to do it yourself, but I have to admit my last
attempt turned out poorly, mostly because the cover I bought didn't fit
my car.  (My fault, I mis-read the TRF catalog, didn't realize my
mistake until halfway through the installation.)

Anyway, start at the front center, getting the zipper centered between
the two front center studs with a minimum of tension on the zipper.
Then do the two rear center studs, again centering the zipper.  I then
work out around the corner on all 4 corners, stretching the material
fairly tight at each stud, and then finish going across the doors.

My tools are a X-acto knife with a new blade, a pair of Channel-Lock
type pliers (I use water pump pliers but anything with a deep enough jaw
should work), and a piece of heavy cardboard.  At each stud, I mark the
center of the hole with the knife, holding the tonneau against the
stud.  Then pull the cover away from the car and, using the bottom plate
of the fastener as a template and the cardboard as a backing piece,
drive the point of the X-acto knife through each of the 4 slots, through
the cover and into the cardboard.  Now put the upper plate in position,
and work each of the 4 tabs through it's slit with your fingers.  I find
it's easier to just force the tabs through than to worry about enlarging
the slit.  Now put the bottom plate in position over the 4 tabs,
compress it a bit with the pliers, then fold the tabs over with the
pliers.  Working from underneath, use the X-acto knife to cut away the
tonneau material inside the center hole.  Try it out for fit, and move
on to the next one.

Good Luck
Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO