Re: Next question - Tenax fasteners

To: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Next question - Tenax fasteners
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:50:27 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob Kinderlehrer wrote:
When I removed these fasteners for the top and tanneau before the body
work
started, there was nothing between the back of he fastener and the
body of
the car. Should there be some kind of little gasket?  I got a new set
of
fasteners but there weren't any gaskets with them. The metal on
freshly
painted metal bothers me a little, ok a lot -  that wasn't a cheap
paint
job.  I was thinking of using a paper punch on some black gasket
material to
make little "O's" to put over the screws.  Am I being paranoid?

With the greatest respect, yes. If you strive for a factory fresh
original appearance, omit any type of washer. If preservation of paint
is vital at all costs, then do whatever you feel is best. I have seen
the males on some restored cars fitted with very small diameter
washers under them and if you can get them small enough, you'll still
retain the original look providing inspection isn't detailed and
close. It's your car - do with what you feel is best. IMHO you  have
far superior fasteners anyway to the later plastic things that used to
break off even before the cars had left the factory.

Jonmac