Re: TR6 Front Hub Spindles

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Front Hub Spindles
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 23:37:52 +0100
Hi Pete
The wear you are seeing is in my opinion caused by poor adjustment of the
bearings for a prolonged period, it is the hammering effect of loose
bearings that does the damage. I made do with a pair of spindles with quite
a large step in, one that you could feel the bearing moving about even when
the bearing was so tight it would barely turn, I dismantled, cleaned and
refitted using Loctite stud and bearing fit, leaving car with the bearing
done up and the wheel dangling (car on stands ) over height.
This worked for a couple of years, now I have new spindles and bearings, and
etc etc. Still with the bearings glued on and kept tight to stop it
happening again!
If you can get them fit new spindles and forget about the problem.

Graham.