car selling rather long

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: car selling rather long
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:09:47 -0400
3 years back I had a V/W Karman Ghia conv. I was going to sell, I had owned
the car for 26 years myself and bought it from the original owner, I had
==every== receipt and record of every gallon of gas that ever was pumped
into the car, dates for every oil change, tire rotations, etc, etc. this car
was 28 years old at the time and had less than 50K on the odometer, it was a
big winner at every show I ever entered it in, a buyer contacted me and
wanted to drive it to his mechanics for a close inspection, in my garage at
home I have a lift, a 14' X 6' X 3' pit and just about every tool that is
needed, I told him "NO", bring your mechanic here, if my records and the
appearance of the car did not tell him enough, then in my opinion he knew
nothing about buying a car, his mechanic came to my home the next day and
laughed at his customer and wanted to know why he had to inspect a car of
this quality. This is the only time in my life I have ever told a customer
"no" on a car inspection, he is the buyer and yes he makes the decision to
buy or not, again just me & my $$$ worth on whats right & wrong in the
selling game, know your mdse & your market, be it buyer or seller.  "FT"