Re: { NASS } Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] STRANGE vibration!

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: { NASS } Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] STRANGE vibration!
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:27:54 -0400
OK.. new tests completed. Thanks JK NP PL and
others for your suggestion/insight.

...conditions.....
- New clutch - and literally all new everything inside the
bellhousing) when freshly rebuilt and re-installed
O/D tranny went back in less than 500 miles ago.

- Clutch actuation both on/off... is smooth with no
noise or grinding in any gear at any speed.
- Shifting is silky smooth with no 'notchiness' in any gear.
- Plenty of power, delivered smoothly at any rev range.

I took a passenger along for a ride to try and figure out
where is sounded like it's coming from and what it sounded
like.

It seems to be most prevalent at 2.5-3krpm with minimal
load applied (IE: decelerating is worse)

In the parking lot I can rev and hold it at any speed
and it is stable and smooth with minimal vibrations
and no sound.

So... I'm beginning to believe... my driveshaft is ever so
slightly out of balance and the new rear tranny mount
is possibly broken (typical crappie rubber repo parts
these days.)   Yep I know...easy enough to check...
gotta' put it up on the ramps and check it tomorrow.

QUESTION:
- If the clutch pressure plate were lose...wouldn't I feel
it / hear it
on actuation?
- If the input shaft were damaged/broken...wouldn't I feel
it
when letting the clutch out?
- If the bearings in the laygear were disintegrating....
wouldn't
I feel it under load or sense it more on the transition from
power on to power off?

Paul Tegler      ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com