TR6 Starter

To: Ian Clough <mc_ian@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR6 Starter
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:30:45 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <iclough@rim.net>
Message text written by Ian Clough
>I'm stuck in the worst place of all - at work!
>My tr6, just 'clicks' (single 'click' that is) when I
>turn the key.
<snip>
I'd like to just get the car started once to get it
home where I can fix it properly, is there a way that
I could jumper over the relay directly to the starter
(assuming the relay is faulty)???
<

Ian,

If you have a fairly big screwdriver and a little courage (and a good
torch)
You can energize the starter (assuming the solenoid is the faulty item) by
touching the two terminals on the solenoid.  The starter will want to draw
about 300 amps so when you touch these two do so forcefully.  And take
great care not to touch anything else with the screwdriver metal part (such
as the carbs).  You will short out the battery if you do.  Besure the key
is in the "Run" position before doing this or you will be wasting your
time.

Alternative to the above is the traditionaly push start.  Trun the key to
the "Run" position, select 2nd gear, depress the clutch and have some lads
push your car to approximately 10 MPH.  Release the clutch and the momentum
of the car will turn over the engine and it will (should) start.

Third option: call the auto club.

Good luck and take care.

Dave