Re: Coolant Question - Semi LBC Related

To: Chip19474@aol.com
Subject: Re: Coolant Question - Semi LBC Related
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:43:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I've seen a product (can't remember the brand name) that is "red" that is
>marketed as a long-life coolant so is that the distinction between the
>coolant colors - "green" is standard life; "red" is long life?  Can "green"
>coolant like Prestone's be mixed with any lingering "red" coolant without
>harm?
*********************************
Chip,
The "rd" or "orange" colored coolant signifies that it is indeed the
extended life coolant.  The familiar "green" stuff is the older anti-freeze
that needs to be changed every season or so.  One primary difference is in
the corrosion inhibitors and water pump lubricants in the long life
anti-freeze.  It doesn't degrade nearly as quickly as in the traditional
stuff.  It is a better all around anti-freeze, especially in vehicles that
don't get used much.  I now use it in all my cars, after I saw how clean my
wifes 93 rangers cooling system was when after 6 years I flushed and
refilled that truck.  The internal passages were spotless, no rust or scale
anywhere.  Plus if it spills it's safer, and doesn't stain nearly as badly
or leave that sticky residue as does the old green stuff.
According to what I've read, they can be mixed with no ill effects but if
done so the extended life properties will be destroyed, so from that
standpoint, not a good idea -