Re: Fulcrum Pin Controversy teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9ILg4Q21531

Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pin Controversy teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9ILg4Q21531
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:41:53 -0700
>Looking at your latest post and seeing how many shims are in your car, you
>may want to re-think that fulcrum pin orientation. I ended up with one (1)
>shim on the right side rear bracket. That was all the shim I needed to
>achieve specs!

Hi, Tim.

It's not clear to me yet what the result would be of flipping the
fulcrum pins, since the matter of which way they're SUPPOSED to be
installed seems to be in dispute.  It's beginning to look like the
pins on my car may indeed be correct in their orientation, and if
that's true then flipping them would give me more negative camber.  I
do see some logic there, though
 because if I did that then I could
remove some shims to remove the excess negative camber and restore
the camber to proper specs.  Certainly an interesting idea.  I'll
PROBABLY leave it as it is, but you've definitely raised a good point.

However, if the fulcrum pins on my TR6 are already reversed, then
returning them to the correct orientation would likely put me over
into positive camber territory, in which case I'd have to add even
MORE shims to bring the camber back into the negative.

I was surprised, actually, to look down and see SIX shims stacked up
behind one pivot bracket, especially since the other bracket on the
same side only had one shim.  Not the tightest manufacturing
tolerances, eh?  That I have 3 and 4 shims on the other side seems
more prudent.

Perhaps it's possible that they installed the fulcrum pins EITHER way
at the factory according to how far a given chassis was from the
correct alignment specs.

Thanks again!

--
Pete Chadwell