Re: Diagnosing engine grinding/growling noise, water pump questions TR

To: "Glen Sapilewski" <glen@step.Stanford.EDU>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Diagnosing engine grinding/growling noise, water pump questions TR4A
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:32:16 -0500
At 11:25 -0700 10/19/01, Glen Sapilewski wrote:
>Hello Folks,
>
>     Our '66 TR4A engine is running quite well, but has recently
>started making some very unpleasant sounds.  The nature and location
>of the sounds make us a bit worried about major disasters (engine bearings,
>etc.)
>so we have stop driving the car.  :(
>
>      Summary of questions:
>       - Is it possible to run the engine with the water pump disconnected
>(fan belt
>         removed) for ANY length of time without "frying" the engine????
>       - How much 'play' should there be in the water-pump pulley?
>       - Any method to test water pump insitu?
>
>Thanks!
>    Glen & Alison
>
>    1966 TR4A-IRS in family since '66
>    Bay Area, California USA

Glen --

Yes, you should be able to run the engine for up to a few minutes
with the belt off, especially if you're starting with a "cool"
engine.  I wouldn't go over three or four minutes or so ... others
may have more informed opinions.  Also, as you quoted in the e-mail,
you could use a water hose to get some water flow through the engine
- but you'd wind up with a mess, and it's probably not worth the
trouble.

I don't think there should be any play in the water pump pulley, if
it is bolted tightly to its spindle.  That may well be your problem.
Fred Thomas on the list rebuilds them, I believe, and has earned the
compliments of many here for quality of work (haven't sent him
anything yet myself - but I probably will!).

As for testing the water pump in situ - if you could rig up a way to
run the thing off a belt with an electric motor, sure - wouldn't hurt
anything.  But I don't know where you'd start on getting that all set
up.

I would try running without the belt for a short while and see if
there's no noise - if no noise, problem is in water pump or
generator.  As you noted, generator runs with no play and spins
easily, while water pump has play and (it seems) a bit more noise.  I
would suggest starting there.

HTH!

Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle assembly going
together on my workbench!

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!