RE: Diagnosing engine grinding/growling noise, water pump questionsTR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diagnosing engine grinding/growling noise, water pump questionsTR4A
From: "Glen Sapilewski" <glen@step.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:46:33 -0700
Thanks for the very helpful advice!
   We ran the engine with the fanbelt removed and the noise completely
disappeared.  :)
   The generator seems to be OK (no rubbing) so the likely culprit is the
water
pump (excess play and louder noise).  It appears to be an aftermarket pump
(no grease nipple).  As soon as we obtain parts we'll replace it.

Questions:
1. Where are list archives currently stored?
     I've been out-of-the-loop for a while, www.listquest.com seems to be
down.
2. Is it possible to remove the pulley w/ the aftermarket-pump on the car?
     I tried removing the nut and applying a little force to remove the
pulley
     but it didn't budge.  Is this a result of the keyway/shaft being chewed
up?
3. Any hints on getting the fan belt between the structural member and
   the fan extension?
     Turning the steering wheel didn't seem to help.  We tried jacking up
     the engine (board between oil-pan & scissors jack), but the clearance
     didn't seem to increase.  Maybe I should have put the jack closer to
     the front of the oil pan and been a little more aggressive?
     Is it unwise to unbolt the fan extension?

Thanks!
  Glen - TR4A-IRS '66