RE:HS6's on TR6 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9NFEMg15967

Subject: RE:HS6's on TR6 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9NFEMg15967
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:14:17 -0700
Darcy wrote:

>These carbs came off a TR7, I wonder if that engine is mounted level.
>I did discover last night that as I increase the RPM's into the area
>where the bad misfiring occurs, if I pull out the choke, the
>misfiring is eliminated.  Doesn't run great but at least no
>misfiring so that definitely means things need to richen up.

I'm no TR7 expert, but I wasn't aware that any TR7s came with SU
carburettors
 I thought they were all Zenith Strombergs.  Not that I
doubt they came from a TR7, but if they did I'm thinking they weren't
any more designed to run a TR7 motor than they were to run a TR6
motor.  The HS6 variety of SU carbs were used on TR3s & TR4's,
correct?  I find it difficult to believe that the engine mounting
angle is significantly different between TR6s and TR3 or TR4.

I have a little bit of difficulty with the idea of mounting angle
being all that critical, anyway.  If the carbs can't adequately
control their respective float levels at different operating angles,
then how can the car run going up a hill?  Maybe I'm about to learn
something new, but it seems to me that as long as there's fuel
pressure at each float's fuel inlet, then it's up to each float and
needle valve to maintain the proper fuel level in that carb
regardless of the operating angle of the carb.   Naturally, I the
operating angle has to be within a certain window
 the carbs won't
work if you stand the car on end, for instance.  But given a
REASONABLE operating angle, I'd say you have to figure out why the
one float is not doing its job, and when that's corrected, sculpt the
needles to correct the mixture at certain RPMs where the mixture is
still too lean.

Please correct me as necessary!

--
Pete Chadwell