Re: More about tapered shaftsŠ

Subject: Re: More about tapered shaftsŠ
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:29:33 -0700
Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> However there is one obstacle that I find difficult to
> overcome:  When you are separating the tapered parts, you're pulling
> the tapers AWAY from each other!  They ought to WANT to come apart.

Best everyday example I can think of is picking up a paper or styrofoam
cup upside down.  The sides slope downwards, so gravity is pulling the
cup away from the (at the moment) matching taper of your fingers.  But,
since the slope (or taper) is so shallow, you have no trouble generating
enough friction between the cup and your fingers to hold it.  With a
steeper slope, it's much more difficult.  Ever try palming a basketball
?

And, the angle of the taper is exactly what distinguishes a locking
taper from a non-locking one.

Personally, I find electromagnetism more fascinating.  Just waving a
wire through apparently empty space causes all sorts of magic things to
happen (lights light, batteries charge, etc.)

Randall