instrument panel lights

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: instrument panel lights
From: "Dennis Costello" <djc.tr6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:49:44 -0700
I would suggest to anyone who has limited or no brightness adjustment on the
instrument lights of their TR6 to consider removing the rheostat and taking
it apart. This can be done by carefully bending back the assembly tabs and
cleaning the insides. Also check the wound spring wire for end-to-end
continuity and bend the arm to increase tension between the sliding contact
and the wound wire. I did all of this and reassembled the unit with
excellent results. The replacement item is rather pricey, and if a repair
can be made, so much the better. This would result in an additional part of
the car being "yours", which fits with Tim Allen's proclamation of "If you
didn't build it, it isn't yours".
Dennis
'73 TR6