Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #789

To: Jerry Van Vlack <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #789
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:15:13 -0500
You are right that in a perfect world you would need 37:41 ratio, but what you
REALLY need is something else.
If that were true, you would need a 1312 calibration for the speedometer, but I
found out that (with my current set
of 185/70 tires) that I need a 1344, which would be a 37:42 ratio.

So, first find out what ratio you really need and then get the reduction gear
unit made.  Let me know who you use and the cost, ease of use, etc.

The way I went is to find the guts of a speedo that was closer to my needs than
the stock 1184.  I got
a 1376 which is pretty close.  A gear reduction unit would be much better,
though.

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
>"Gerald  Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Speedometer Calibration

Hello Listers,
This subject has come up from time to time and I would like to revisit it
since the archives don't appear to be functioning. Last summer I changed
from a stock TR 4A 3.70 rear end to a 4.10. Obviously the speedometer and
odometer are now reading much too fast. I've investigated the idea of an in
line cable mini gearbox to re-establish the correct ratio and have a quote
of approx $150 from a man in California to make me one.
Here's the question (s)
1. Is there anyone supplying an electronic unit who can fit it to our
speedo? It would seem that the Street Rod Boys would use something like this
when they make all of their changes but want to keep the interior as
original, including the gauges of course.
2. What have others who have made this same switch of gears done to correct
the speedometer readings?
3. Has anyone made their own mini gearbox to fit in line?  Where would I get
the gears and proper connections for the cable ends? I'm thinking that I
would need a 37 tooth gear to drive a 41 tooth gear to slow the cable speed
down from it's higher speed. Making a little gear box to do that might be a
nice winter project.
4. Looking for the collective wisdom of the list.
5. Does Nissonger do this? I haven't asked them yet but will be writing them
today.
Thanks,
Jerry Van Vlack

<