TR6 Front Hub Adjustment, Felt Seal teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id fA4KILx0301

Subject: TR6 Front Hub Adjustment, Felt Seal teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id fA4KILx03014
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:18:13 -0800
I put the front end of the TR6 up in the air again this morning in
order to bleed the brakes and check the front hubs.  What I
discovered is that since Monday night when I put it all back together
again, the hubs had loosened quite a bit
 and I mean A LOT!   But
when I re-adjusted the hubs, I found that now the cotter pin would
barely engage the castellated nut, since now the nut had been
threaded further down onto the stub axle.  This time I used an
additional plain washer under the nut to shim it out so that the pin
is engaged properly in the nut.

But I'm puzzled as to why this would be necessary.  I did install new
spindles (stub axles) from Victoria British and comparing them to the
old spindles I could see no dimensional differences, particularly in
the location of the cotter pin holes.  The biggest thing that was
different this time, was that my bearing kit came with the old style
(OEM, I presume) felt seals whereas the seals that I installed with
new bearings 12 years ago had been supplied with a more conventional
rubber seal.  I suspect that what's behind this (in more ways than
one) is the felt seal compressing and becoming more compact, allowing
the end float to grow substantially with initial use.  I suspect that
the end-float won't grow any more now that I've re-adjusted the hubs.

One other thing about the felt seal
 which way is it supposed to be
installed onto the stub axle?  The seals I got are a thick felt ring
bonded to a thin metal shell on one side only of the seal.  Does the
metal shell go against the vertical link, or does it go against the
hub?  I think I may have installed the damned things backwards!

Thanks!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6