TR6 lower wish bones

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 lower wish bones
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:43:49 -0500
Hi everyone,

The rebuild of CF28217UO is coming along slowly, very slowly.  The
latest snag is the lower wish bones on the passenger side front
suspension.  I just reassembled the whole lower assembly last night and
have noticed that the mounting brackets that hold the lower wishbones to
the frame do not sit level on my work bench.

The brackets I'm talking about have the two bolts that go through the
frame, then the wishbones get bolted to them in turn.  Well, the bottom
of these brackets are square and would expect the bottoms to lie flat on
the bench.  I already know that my car had a major front end collision
well before I owned it, and I did put a tree trunk into the exact middle
of the bonnet (thus the rebuild).  The first accident was enough to bend
the frame so much a piece had to be patched in, and as I discovered two
weeks ago, the vertical link was also bent at the top where it bolts to
the ball joint.

Should the bottoms of these brackets be square with each other and lie
flat on the bench?  How can I tell if the two bolts of the pivot points
are aligned with each other to determine if it is the bracket or the
wishbone that is bent?

Rob
Ottawa, ON