Re: Do I have a solenoid problem?

To: jmerone@rocketmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Do I have a solenoid problem?
From: SDOliner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:13:29 EST
In a message dated 11/8/01 9:56:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jmerone@rocketmail.com writes:

<< Just
 what does the solenoid do anyway? >>
 The solenoid is a relay switch. The smaller wires from your ignition switch,
operate an electromagnet, which connects the heavy lead from the battery with
the lead to the starter. You can also turn the car over by jumping across the
big solenoid terminals with a screw driver, or in the case of some solenoids
pushing on the rubber plunger, which does the same thing as the
electromagnet. Car will turn over, but won't car unless the ignition switch
is on.

It sounds like a problem with your starter bendix. Either dirty or in my case
a broken spring. Although if you have a spare solenoid I would check this
first, much easier to change than taking out the starter.

The small front spring on my bendix had broken, and Vicky Brits wanted $39.95
for a spring set. I ended up buying just the front spring (for $1.) from a
supplier who is no the spridgets list Peter C. nosimport@mailbag.com. I have
no financial interest in this, but he is a really good guy, who loves these
cars. I have been buying all of my parts from him.

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A