Re: What's That Smell?

To: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's That Smell?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:19:17 -0700
Geo Hahn wrote:

> It occurred to me that my TR has just about lost that smell with all the
> new interior parts it has recently received.  Just what is it that
> produces that smell?

I read years ago in WSJ that Rolls Royce found that their older
customers were disappointed with the "new car smell" of new
models -- so the company assigned a team of engineers to identify
the smell. They found it was (mostly) a combination of the leather and
wood of the older seat frames, and the new leather and [various
synthetic materials] seats didn't produce the same smell. So Rolls
produced "old Rolls smell" in a can and their dealers apparently were
spraying it on at every service.

I assume any Triumph "old car smell" would require a bit more
Essense of Burnt Oil and Aroma de Leaking Jets than a Rolls?

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO