Re: Sport Coil

To: Shrack04@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sport Coil
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:06:29 EST
In a message dated 13-Nov-01 14:46:18 Eastern Standard Time, Shrack04@aol.com
writes:

> 1st, can a coil go , "weak" or does it just quit, and,,
> 2nd,  is the lucas sport coil with the extra $$

1. Answer is yes.  There should be over 20K volts across the coil output.  If
the voltage is lower, due to an internal glitch in the coil windings, then
you will have trouble starting the car.  This happened to me in '68 and it
took awhile before I checked the output voltage.  The output was about 13K
volts.  That meant that I had trouble starting the car when the engine was
cold but it ran OK and started when the engine was still hot.

2. IMO, yes.  Be sure to regap the spark plugs if you switch to a sports coil.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)