Re: That awful sound - go for it

Subject: Re: That awful sound - go for it
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:51:50 -0500
Well I'll kick in here after having just rebuilt my
O/D tranny myself.
.... my first effort at a full tranny rebuild.

THINGS IT COULD BE....
- a shift fork broke
- a bolt came out of a shift fork
- The broken reverse gear teeth 'you didn't know you've HAD...
finally jammed up a gear.  (my reverse was smooth and solid
but the laygear and reverse gear both had teeth missing)

It's not that hard to rebuild a tranny.
Read the books.  Then read them again.   And again
one more time.  look at and study the pics A LOT!

Then set yourself up a nice big table where as you take
stuff apart you can spread it out just like the 'exploded' drawings.

Pay attention to which side of what is facing which way
as you dis-assemble stuff.

Get a cheapy digital camera and take 'before' and 'during' pics.
You'll be glad you did during the re-assembly and the 'after' moments.
TRUST YOURSELF. you can do it.

I got ready to pull mine apart again thinking the (...now I know anyway)
engine vibrations were the tranny and I had done something wrong.

NO YOU CAN'T see much by just pulling the top off and looking in.
Mostly because you can't get your head in on top the tranny under the dash.  :-)
BTTT (been there..tried that)

Best of luck

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com