Re: Now I realllllly hate emissions testing....a RANT

To: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>, "Ernest Husmann" <chusmann@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Now I realllllly hate emissions testing....a RANT
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:01:37 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Delete now if you're tired of this thread.  Cause this isn't going to be
pretty.

List,

I apologize in advance for doing a rant but clean air is something I feel
strongly about.  Those that make soapbox speeches sometimes slip on the
soap.  Ernie's set himself up by not even getting the basics right, which
puts into question the credibility of the rest of his spiel.

Ernie,

The only thing you were right about is that you should have followed your
own advice.

You've made it obvious that you know little about the Federal government or
how clean air regulations work.  For starters the EPA IS a Federal agency
and it was Congress that passed the Clean Air Act.

The Clean Air Act has improved air quality so that we all can breath better
(although it could be MUCH better) these days and live longer to drive our
vintage cars.

That legislation was also supported by many industrial groups and
associations who had the foresight to realize that the economy (and the
business climate) would actually be improved by reducing atmospheric loading
of air pollutants.  And they also recognized that it's a lot harder to sell
their products and services to dead people and/or people that are spending
all their money going to hospitals because of respiratory related problems.

I think you SHOULD spend lots of time lobbying the Federal government to
ease controls on vintage cars (I won't even tell you why that's barking up
the wrong tree)....that would keep you out of trouble without any lasting
effect on the rest of us.  And please share your knowledge of auto emissions
with them...they could use a good laugh.  Why don't you instead work to
clean up the pulp and paper mills, and power plants in your part of the
country along with a lot of other pollution sources up there.  They have
dumped so much mercury into the ecosystem that fish in the Great Lakes are
contaminated with it and eating them could cause brain damage.  You haven't
been.....???...oh never mind.

Fortunately for you the CAA doesn't regulate "hot air".

Rant off.  Nomex on.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)